Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Strike-a-Light/opportunities/Trustees/68873 to join
SummaryAre you interested in our work at Strike A Light? Do you want to be part of helping us to succeed? Maybe you could be one of our new board members!
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have a board of trustees that works closely with our core team. The board’s job is to work with us, support us, challenge us and make sure that we’re doing the things we’re supposed to be doing.
Being a trustee is a voluntary role, that typically takes up to 1 day of your time every couple of months (6-8 days a year)
There is a big responsibility attached to joining a board. You are ultimately responsible for the organisation and ensuring it meets its aims, you manage the risk register and our funding agreements, including Arts Council England. This may sound daunting but trustees and the team are generous with their time and we can work through what this all means.
The main criteria we are looking for is someone who is enthusiastic about the work we do in Gloucester and is keen to get stuck into being on a board. We know that this will mean you will come with great ideas and thoughts. We all have different experiences from many walks of life and feel like there is so much that would be beneficial for us to learn from.
As a trustee, some of the things you could support us with are:
- Championing our vision for community co-creation, letting artists be artists, participation and talent development
- Getting stuck into SAL activity, giving your thoughts on our work and processes and telling us your thoughts about how we can get better
- Monitor and embed our agreement with the Arts Council which means checking we are doing what we said we would including monitoring our investment principles
- Support our financial planning and accounts
- Be part of a wider vision to do things differently and see a step-change in Gloucester
- Monitor the risks to the organisation and ensure we are putting in steps to manage them
- Understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being a trustee (we can organise training for this)
- Lead on making sure that Strike A Light is well governed and complies with it’s constitutional and charitable objectives
Trustees have a term length of 3 years in the post.
We’re not expecting you to do all of these things, but if there is anything on this list that speaks to you or sparks your interest, we would love to hear from you. You might think that you can’t be a Trustee – maybe because of your age or experience or anything else. But if you feel passionate about what we do and want to get stuck in, YOU CAN APPLY. We would love to hear from you.
Deadline: Monday 14 August 2023
If you'd like to apply, we just want to hear 2 things from you:
- a bit about who you are and what experience you have (this doesn't have to be paid employment!). What are some interesting things you've done in your life?
- a quick explanation of why you're applying for the role. What makes this sound interesting to you?
You can send these to us in whatever format is easiest or preferable for you: you can put together a CV and a written cover letter; you can share your LinkedIn page and a voice note saying why you're interested in the role; you can make a short video or audio recording telling us a bit about you and send us the link – whatever you feel happiest with.
Please contact Lynette through this advert if you are interested.
If you meet the basic criteria, we will arrange a conversation with a member of the Executive Team and a current board member. We will do this at a time which works around your commitments.
If we’re all happy, you'll then be invited to observe a board meeting. If you'd like to formally join as a board member after that meeting you'll be voted in. You will also have an induction with the Executive Director to introduce you to the organisation.
We are particularly interested in applications from Global Majority, Working Class, d/Disabled or LGBTQ+ people as these are currently underrepresented groups in our workforce.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
About Strike a Light
We programme world class drama and dance for people across Gloucester, run weekly classes where children and young people work alongside experienced arts professionals, and support diverse artists making new shows.
We are a charity and believe that everyone, regardless of their background, should be able to experience, watch and take part in creative activity. We are supported by some brilliant funders, which allows us to subsidise ticket prices and offer free places for young people on activities.