Volunteer Mentor (in the Coleford area of Forest of Dean)
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/httpswwwbreatheyouthorguk/opportunities/Volunteer-Mentor-in-the-Coleford-area-of-Forest-of-Dean/53705 to join
Volunteers needed to support young people living in the Forest of Dean who are facing challenges in their lives and make a positive difference in their lives.Detailed description
Breathe is a Christian Charity delivering youth work in the Forest of Dean. Our mentoring service provides mentor support to young people in the Forest of Dean aged 10-18 years of age who are facing challenges.
Young people are mentored for at least 12 months with the aim of building their self esteem and help them identify and work towards their goals. Mentors provide a young person with a consistent trusting adult who will listen to them giving them the space to talk through the challenges they are facing.
Our mentors are amazing people who have a care and concern for young people and want to help them thrive and make progress towards their potential. We value the time and support they give to the young people they support.
Job Summary: To provide 1-1 mentor support to young people who are facing challenges deemed suitable for the programme
Responsible to: The Mentor Coordinator
1. To attend the introductory meeting with the prospective mentee and family / carer and the mentor coordinator
2. To meet with the young person weekly – usually 1-2 hours as appropriate
3. To develop a positive relationship with the young person, help them to identify their goal/s and work with them towards achieving these
4. To listen to their mentees concerns, and explore options and possible solutions with them
5. To attend regular support and supervision sessions and complete review documentation
6. To adhere to Breathe’s procedures and policies including safeguarding and lone working policies
7. To treat mentees with dignity and respect
8. To maintain good record keeping and understand the importance of confidentiality
9. To attend introductory and ongoing training sessions as required
10. To uphold the ethos and values of Breathe as a Christian organisation