Volunteer Shuttle Driver
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Westonbirt-Arboretum-Forestry-England/opportunities/Volunteer-Shuttle-Driver/64833 to join
SummaryDriving the shuttle bus onsite at Westonbirt, enabling visitors with mobility issues to have better access to the Old Arboretum and the central facilities.
Westonbirt’s historic Victorian landscape and internationally important tree and shrub collection is managed by Forestry England and attracts thousands of visitors each year.
Onsite transport is an additional customer care service we offer, with our volunteer shuttle drivers being a key part our Visitor Services team. This busy and fulfilling role helps visitors to make the most of their time with us by enabling those with mobility issues to have better access to the Old Arboretum, as well as central facilities such as the Westonbirt shop and restaurant.
The service runs from spring to autumn, 7 days a week from 10am-4pm (with a break over the winter period) and we ask our volunteers for a minimum of three half-days per month; either 10am-1pm or 1-4pm.
- Driving along a pre-determined route to help less mobile visitors gain access to the arboretum and its facilities.
- Communicating confidently with people and promoting the service.
- Advising passengers on seasonal highlights, trail routes, events and answering queries.
- Promoting Friends of Westonbirt Arboretum membership.
- Performing daily checks on the vehicle and ensuring it is properly stored at the day’s end.
- Keeping the vehicle clean and tidy and ensuring proper use by passengers.
- Staying calm and focused when dealing with lots of people during peak periods.
We’d like you to be…
- A people-person with a warm, welcoming style who can communicate with all kinds of visitors and be understanding of their various requirements.
- Reliable, positive, patient, and keen to share your enthusiasm for the arboretum with others.
- An experienced driver who holds a full, clean UK driving licence. Please note, we will need to complete a check of your licence via DVLA online.
- Able to attend the Shuttle Driver Training session at Westonbirt on Monday 5th June 2023.
- Provide comprehensive training followed by a number of supported drives.
- Provide you with an on-site radio for communication.
- Pay a contribution to the cost of volunteering travel.
How to apply
Please get in touch with Louise Amato in the Westonbirt volunteer office.