Club, society or other
Westonbirt, The National Arboretum is cared for by Forestry England. As well as ensuring Westonbirt’s long-term future, its mission is to connect people with trees to improve the quality of life ...
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Westonbirt-Arboretum-Forestry-England/opportunities/Learning-Volunteers/54954 to join
SummaryEngaging with visitors of all ages, delivering informal hands-on learning activities during family events and/or formal learning experiences with schools.
Westonbirt, The National Arboretum is cared for by Forestry England. As well as ensuring Westonbirt’s long-term future, its mission is to connect people with trees to improve the quality of life. Volunteering plays a fundamental part supporting this mission, providing essential help in maintaining the arboretum and making visitors feel welcome.
The Learning Team engages with visitors of all ages, delivering informal hands-on learning activities during family events as well as formal learning experiences with schools and colleges.
A minimum of 10 shifts over the year with at least 6 of these at the weekend. Weekend events take place throughout the year with more sessions in the summer holidays.
- Family events - engaging with families, helping them to explore and discover more about trees, the arboretum and the natural world.
- Morning, afternoon and all-day shift options to suit your availability
- School visits – supporting the learning officer by helping all children to take part in the activities
- Work mornings – One a month, usually on a Friday, miscellaneous tasks to prepare for events, school programmes, maintenance and sharing ideas
We’d like you to be…
- Welcoming to all participants, of all ages, learning styles and needs
- Comfortable to approach visitors to invite them to take part
- Experienced in engaging and talking with children
- Provide training sessions covering induction, learning theory, engaging with the public, and the learning programme for the year ahead.
- Partner you with a current volunteer to support you in your role.
- Provide all materials needed.
- Ensure you are with another volunteer when out in the arboretum.
- Make you aware there may be periods of standing and that the activity may take place away from central facilities for up to 1.5 hours.
- Pay a contribution to the cost of volunteering travel.
- Help you to complete the required Disclosure and Barring System checks (an enhanced DBS is required for this role).