The Cotswold Listener is the free talking newspaper for the sight-impaired living in Cheltenham, Tewksbury and the North Cotswold.
Our purpose is to help those who are sight impaired and those who can ...
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/The-Cotswold-Listener/opportunities/News-Editor/52715 to join
SummaryDo you enjoy reading the news? Join our team and gather key articles together to support those who are visually impaired.
What we do
Every week of the year we produce an a 90 – 120-minute recording. This is available to our listeners on a memory stick via the yellow pouches, through our website (protected by a password), Via an App with the British Wireless for the Blind, Alexa and Google.
Each week’s recording comprises 35 to 40 minutes of local news taken from the Gloucestershire Echo and Cotswold Journal website and 35 to 40 minutes of our Magazine. The magazine is an eclectic mix of articles from a huge range of sources designed to entertain and amuse. In addition, we add between 20 to 40 minutes of TNF Soundings, TCL Xtra, and interviews with a local interest.
About the Role
The reporting week runs from Wednesday through to the following Tuesday. On Wednesday, you will receive from the previous week’s news editor a list of the items used on that day’s recording so that repetition can be avoided.
The News Editor has two main tasks:
a. to search the websites, select suitable articles and copy/paste them into a word processor.
b. to edit the articles and make them suitable for reading aloud.
You will also:
• To select sufficient items from the Gloucestershire live website and Cotswold Journal website to ensure at least a 40-minute news recording (approximately 20 – 25 articles).
• To edit articles where necessary in accordance with The Cotswold Listener Guidelines.
• To complete the spreadsheet with a list of articles edited and forward to the Sound Recorder for information.
• To forward the articles to the Studio via email for printing by 10.30am on Wednesday morning.
• To forward the spreadsheet listing the articles used that week to the other News Editors.
To apply, please click 'Join' and you will be asked a short question. We will then be in touch to discuss the next steps with you.
What we will provide to volunteers🤝 Extra support
About The Cotswold Listener
Our purpose is to help those who are sight impaired and those who can no longer access the written word due to disability, stay in touch with what is happening locally and to stay aware of the issues that interest them, enabling them to live their lives more independently. we do this by recording fifty one weeks of the year both news and a magazine and our service is completely free.