Head of Research
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Soldiers-of-Gloucestershire-Museum/opportunities/Head-of-Research/70369 to join
SummaryThe present Head of Research wishes to retire in order to concentrate on writing up the campaign histories of The Gloucestershire Regiment. He will therefore be
The main duties involved are:
· Co-ordinating the research into enquiries made by relatives and other interested parties into the military service of soldiers of The Gloucestershire Regiment and the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars.
· This spans our military history from 1694 until 1994. It includes covering the following campaigns: Marlborough Wars, 7 Years War, American War of Independence, Napoleonic Wars, Colonial Era, Crimean War, World Wars One and Two, Korean War, Cold War, Ireland and minor engagements.
· The Museum holds comprehensive archives which are slowly being digitised to enable remote access.
· There is a small band of dedicated volunteers who are able to assist and a secretary to keep the ongoing enquiries up to date.
· Answering general enquiries into the history of our two regiments and supporting the museum Operations Director as required.
· A keen in interest in British Military History. Previous military service is not a pre-requisite. There will be a comprehensive induction period.
· Ability to manage a diverse team of volunteers.
For the right person this is a fascinating opportunity to engage with an enthusiastic team in promoting interest in the ongoing success of the Museum as it continues to expand its coverage of all aspects of military life throughout the ages and provide a unique source of education for the people of Gloucestershire to take pride in.
About Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum
The Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum is located in Gloucester’s Historic Docks. We reopened in April 2014 after a significant Heritage Lottery funded refurbishment. Come and discover the lives of Gloucestershire soldiers from the last 300 years. Try on Army uniforms, look into a First World War trench, learn about medals and how soldiers won them through history with our interactive displays. Do you know how the Gloucestershire Regiment won the Back Badge? See how the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars survived fighting in the desert? Have you felt how heavy a Rifleman’s rucksack is? With changing exhibitions and our Soldiers of the Month display, there is always something new to see. There is plenty for the whole family to do, children's games, uniforms to try on plus a free quiz. Our story begins in 1694, travels through the Napoleonic Wars, the Age of Empire, Worlds Wars, Korea and right up to modern day conflicts. Come and discover the stories of twelve generations of Gloucestershire soldiers.