Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Read-Easy-Cheltenham--Gloucester/opportunities/Volunteer-Recruiter/52961 to join
SummaryIf you’re a ‘people person’ and enjoy meeting a wide range of people, then Volunteer Recruiter role is for you.
“It’s been a life-changing experience. Last week I read a book to my grandson.
I never read to my children because I couldn’t.” Peter, from Read Easy Poole
Thank you for considering the role of Volunteer Recruiter in your local Read Easy Management Team. Read Easy groups are changing the lives of individual adults across the country by providing them with the support they need to learn to read. In so doing, they are opening doors for them to all sorts of new opportunities in life.
Outline of the Volunteer Recruiter role
If you’re a ‘people person’ and enjoy meeting a wide range of people, the Volunteer Recruiter role will give you the opportunity to be the first point of contact for all volunteers and to have overall responsibility for managing the recruitment and interviewing of volunteers. You’ll need to be enthusiastic, a good listener and be able to spot a strong volunteer. By helping to recruit the right volunteers, you will play a vital role in ensuring the longevity of the group.
In this role you will:
● manage the recruitment process of all volunteers for your group, leading interviews with the Coordinator or Team Leader; and
● make sure all volunteers feel properly supported, informed, heard and valued.
Resources, guidance and support
You will be provided with the Management Team Handbook, policies, training/induction, and guidance specifically needed for this role, including access to support from a Read Easy UK Regional Adviser, via your Team Leader. You will also be invited to Read Easy UK’s regional forums and annual conference which give volunteers an opportunity for networking with those from other groups.
● Work with the rest of your group to identify the best means of advertising to attract the volunteers you need, and keep everyone informed on progress.
● Manage the recruitment process for all potential volunteers and ensure that appropriate induction is provided.
● Ensure that volunteers’ expectations are managed appropriately and that your group does not recruit significantly more volunteers than it can reasonably make use of.
● Provide all Coaches with an annual Feedback Questionnaire and raise any issues identified that need addressing with the Management Team.
● Provide an End of Year Report to Read Easy UK with Equalities Monitoring data for your group’s volunteers.
● Ensure compliance with Volunteer Policy, Equal Opportunities Policy and Covid Policy.
Personal qualities and experience
● Ideally, experience of interviewing.
● Ability to work to safer recruitment guidelines.
● The confidence to promote the work of Read Easy and a strong commitment to improving the lives of people who struggle with reading.
● Good communication and people skills, with a commitment to maintaining confidentiality.
● A non-judgemental attitude and respect for others.
● Time, energy and enthusiasm.
● The ability to use initiative and to work well as part of a team.
● A willingness to abide by Read Easy policies and procedures.
● An average of 2-3 hours a week to the role.
● Reasonable confidence in using IT.
What is in it for you? You will:
● apply/develop your interviewing and communication skills;
● meet and work collaboratively with new people; and
● be active and engaged, adding value to your local community.
Commitment to the role
The time commitment will vary depending on how and when volunteers are recruited, and whether there is a rolling programme of Coach recruitment or recruitment takes place at set times in the year. You will be responsible for all the administration relating to the recruitment and will be interviewing with either the Coordinator or another member of your group. The time commitment will depend on how interviews are planned, so at a time of recruitment this could be 1 or 2 days a week. You will also be required to attend monthly/regular Management Team meetings.