Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Footsteps-Counselling-and-Care/opportunities/Trustee/52711 to join
SummaryLooking to join a forward-thinking board who lead and champion a Gloucestershire based charity?
What will you be doing?
Trustees are responsible for controlling the management, administration and strategic direction of Footsteps Counselling and Care, a growing charity looking to develop a strong leadership team to take us to the next level.
We are looking for enthusiastic, innovative and reliable people, who can multitask and make a strong contribution to the Board through sharing and implementing their energy, knowledge, expertise and life experiences.
We are particularly seeking Trustees with business experience and knowledge of HR, Risk Management, Fundraising or IT to support growth, development, innovation and sustainability in these core areas.
- Ensure Footsteps is carrying out its purposes for the public benefit including actively contribute to setting the strategic direction
- Comply with Footsteps governing document and the law
- Act in Footsteps best interests
- Manage Footsteps resources responsibly including the monitoring the financial position and clear lines of accountability for financial management
- Act with reasonable care and skill
- Ensure Footsteps is accountable
- Take responsibility for own learning and development
- Confidentiality of sensitive and confidential information is maintained
- Act as an advocate for Footsteps
Estimated time commitment of one meeting per month, usually in the evening, and flexible in providing additional support hours as required.
Trustees must be aged 21+.
Eligible to work in the UK even though this is a volunteer role.
Location independent but within reasonable travelling distance of Gloucester.
What are we looking for?
- Strong leadership and management
- Multi-task and make a strong contribution to the Board by being able to share and implement energy, knowledge, expertise and life experiences
- Commitment and availability
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to actively contribute in all discussions
- Ability and commitment to examine, develop and learn
- Good numeracy skills and the ability to understand Footsteps financial accounts
- Accept and understand the responsibilities and liabilities as a trustee and employer
- Act in the best interests of Footsteps
- Make strong decisions
- 3+ years relevant experience
What difference will you make?
Sadly, there are thousands of people who experience trauma because of pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion, neonatal death and depression. The figures below give an idea of how many lives in the UK are affected, and highlights the ongoing need for support provided by Footsteps Counselling & Care:
- Among women who know they’re pregnant, it’s estimated about 1 in 8 pregnancies will end in miscarriage. (NHS, July 2020)
- 1 in 4 women will experience a miscarriage in their lifetime and about 1 in 100 women in the UK experience recurrent miscarriages (3 or more in a row) (Tommys)
- A stillbirth (when a baby is born dead after 24 completed weeks of pregnancy) happens in around 1 in every 200 births in England (NHS, July 2020). There were 17 in Gloucestershire in 2019, being 2.8 per 1,000 births.
- In England and Wales in 2019 there were 207,384 abortions for women resident in England and Wales (Dept of Health & Social Care, June 2020). 1,542 of those took place in Gloucestershire and of these 4% were for girls under 18 years of age.
- Around 1 in 7 couples may have difficulty conceiving (NHS, July 2020)
- In 2019, there were 12 Gloucestershire neighbourhoods in the most deprived 10% nationally. There were more births to mothers resident in the most deprived areas than the least deprived areas of the UK.
Enhancing our Trustees team with the focussed expertise of Fundraising and IT, will ensure we can continue to provide counselling and support to those in need in our local community, across Gloucestershire and look to expand into neighbouring counties.
What’s in it for you?
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a vibrant, progressive team at a time of growth, as Footsteps looks to celebrate 10 years of supporting people in Gloucestershire.
Develop your charitable sector experience, whilst sharing your skill and knowledge of Fundraising or IT, to help Footsteps expand our service and strive for sustainability, now and for the future.
To apply, please click 'Join' and you will be asked a short question. We will then be in touch to discuss the next steps with you.