Befriender for people with long-term health conditions
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/ReConnect-Gloucestershire-CIC/opportunities/Befriender-for-people-with-long-term-health-conditions/53650 to join
SummaryCan you offer company & empathy to someone experiencing a long-term health condition?
ReConnect supports people affected by Stroke, Aphasia, and other long term health conditions to connect with each other. We facilitate a peer befriending scheme and peer support groups across Gloucestershire to help to reduce social isolation and build confidence and self-esteem.
As a Peer Befriender, you will:
- meet people affected by the same or a similar long-term health condition, either face to face, on the phone, online or in the community.
- offer company, empathy, encouragement, and a chance to share experiences.
- accompany people to peer support groups to grow their confidence and help them become more independent.
- encourage people to achieve personal goals, such as joining a local club or visiting the church or library and, if appropriate, accompanying them.
- share your experiences with hospital staff, other befrienders or people with long term health conditions.
This role might be perfect for you, if you are:
- excellent at listening & communicating with people.
- empathetic and non-judgemental.
- willing to try new things and adapt to the Befriendee’s needs.
- happy to be autonomous with guidance from a key staff member.
- experienced in a long-term health condition (yourself, family or friend)
- over 18 years old
- without a diagnosis of a severe mental health condition
- reliable, clean and presentable.
As a volunteer, you will benefit from:
- an induction and on-going training, covering safeguarding, health & safety.
- regular ongoing support from a staff member.
- meeting new people with similar experiences of long-term conditions.
- connection to your local community and support/social groups.
- being a valued member of an incredible and friendly team.
- out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed.
Location & time commitment:
- most volunteer commit to 1-2 hours per week for at least three months to provide consistency for the person they support.
- timing and location is flexible depending on your, and our befriendee’s, needs.
- befriending can be in-person across Gloucestershire, via telephone or zoom.
- To apply, please complete an application form
- A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check at an enhanced level is required for this role. ReConnect will process this with you for free.
- Once we have received your application, references and DBS check we will arrange a time for your training and match you with a person.