Female Volunteer Mentor (in Blakeney area, Forest of Dean)
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/httpswwwbreatheyouthorguk/opportunities/Female-Volunteer-Mentor-in-Blakeney-area-Forest-of-Dean/55045 to join
SummaryIf you have a heart for young people, you could help us to support a young person facing challenges in their lives.
Role Description: Volunteer Mentor
Breathe is a Christian Charity delivering youth work in the Forest of Dean. Our mentoring service provides mentor support to young people in the Forest of Dean aged 10-18 years of age who are facing challenges.
Young people are mentored for at least 12 months with the aim of building their self esteem and help them identify and work towards their goals. Mentors provide a young person with a consistent trusting adult who will listen to them giving them the space to talk through the challenges they are facing.
Our mentors are amazing people who have a care and concern for young people and want to help them thrive and make progress towards their potential. We value the time and support they give to the young people they support.
Job Summary: To provide 1-1 mentor support to young people who are facing challenges deemed suitable for the programme
Responsible to: The Mentor Coordinator
- To attend the introductory meeting with the prospective mentee and family / carer and the mentor coordinator
- To meet with the young person weekly – usually 1-2 hours as appropriate
- To develop a positive relationship with the young person, help them to identify their goal/s and work with them towards achieving these
- To listen to their mentees concerns, and explore options and possible solutions with them
- To attend regular support and supervision sessions and complete review documentation
- To adhere to Breathe’s procedures and policies including safeguarding and lone working policies
- To treat mentees with dignity and respect
- To maintain good record keeping and understand the importance of confidentiality
- To attend introductory and ongoing training sessions as required
- To uphold the ethos and values of Breathe as a Christian organisation
- Able to communicate and relate to young people
- Good interpersonal skills
- Reliable and high degree of Integrity
- Willing to work flexibly
- A car driver with access to a vehicle
- An understanding of the issues that young people face
An Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will be required for this post