Club, society or other
Westonbirt, The National Arboretum is cared for by Forestry England. As well as ensuring Westonbirt’s long-term future, its mission is to connect people with trees to improve the quality of life ...
Special Events Volunteer
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Westonbirt-Arboretum-Forestry-England/opportunities/Special-Events-Volunteer/55955 to join
SummaryWestonbirt has a number of signature events throughout the year. This role supports delivery of these events, helping visitors to have a great time.
Events take place throughout the calendar year, mostly at weekends and often evenings. The sessions are usually between 3-6 hours dependent on the event. Regular events are scheduled over certain weekends during May, June, September and October, and over four weekends preceding Christmas. There are likely to be ad-hoc events at other times.
- Forest Live is normally in June and runs for 4 nights on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Enchanted Christmas runs on scheduled evenings from late November till mid-December and includes weekends.
Typical tasks could include the following but will be event dependent:
- Welcoming visitors, answering queries and giving appropriate information/ directions regarding the event.
- Walk the event site advising staff of any problems/cause for concern.
- Promote Westonbirt, distribute maps and leaflets.
- Promote ‘Friends of Westonbirt’ membership.
We’d like you to be…
- Reliable, enthusiastic and have confidence in speaking to and engaging with visitors, with a keen willingness to become part of a team.
- A people-person with a warm welcoming style who can communicate with all kinds of visitors
- Enjoy working outdoors and be prepared for all weather
- Provide new starter training and ongoing support, help and guidance.
- Each event will have its own specific briefing/training session dependent on the tasks required.
- Provide a work schedule for the event
- Ensure you receive full support from Forestry England staff and the event medical team. You will not need to be able to attempt first aid.
- Provide volunteer space for breaks, welfare, signing in/out (including picking up radios etc)
- Provide all equipment with instruction, and personal protective equipment where needed.
- Advise that the role involves walking on and off mainly level paths in the arboretum in ALL weather conditions; Enchanted Christmas and Forest Live are evening events. Sturdy boots/shoes are needed.
- Give you an on-site radio for communication.
- Ensure you are always working in pairs.
- Pay a contribution to the cost of volunteering travel.
- Advise that large parts of the event are spent outdoors away often from the main site facilities.
- Provide pool waterproofs / fleeces in inclement weather
- Provide volunteer uniform and name badge.