We are a Gloucestershire based charity whose mission is to transform young people’s lives through music. We’re specialists in working with young people in challenging circumstances to help them reach ...
SUPPORT VOLUNTEER FOR THE DROP AND MUSIC SOCIALS
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/The-Music-Works/opportunities/SUPPORT-VOLUNTEER-FOR-THE-DROP-AND-MUSIC-SOCIALS/69305 to join
SummaryThe Music Works team are looking for volunteers to support young people at The Drop and Music Social.
Support & Wellbeing Volunteer
Drop and music socials
Do you love helping others feel welcome and supported? Do you want to help The Music Works transform young lives through music?
Then this could be the perfect role for you.
About the role
The Music Works team are looking for volunteers to support young people at The Drop and Music Social.
The Drop is a space for 10 to 18 year olds to develop their music skills, like DJ, beatbox, singing, rap, recording, band, jams.
Music Social supports those who are looking to progress further with their skills and take steps towards building a career within the music industry. For anyone between the ages of 16-25 with an intermediate experience level in any of the following: singer, rapper, beatboxer, musician (of any instrument), producer, engineer, poet or spoken word artist. The sessions are inclusive, and we welcome people with all abilities.
Wednesdays, 4pm-6pm, The Drop
Mondays, 5.30pm-8pm, Music Social
but any offers of help would be gratefully received.
What you’ll be doing:
- Welcoming young people and vulnerable artists to The Drop and Music Social.
- Supporting everyone to sign-in and sign-out.
- Helping people feel welcome and safe: offering cups of tea, showing visitors where the facilities and fire exits are.
- Supporting the team with various tasks to help the sessions run smoothly.
- Helping people get involved in the activities and offering them encouragement - being their cheerleader.
- Being an ambassador for The Music Works.
- Have good person skills.
- Have good communication skills.
- Be kind and patient.
If you don’t feel you tick every box but are sure this role is the one for you, we’d love to hear from you! We’re always open to suggestions and are very happy to chat with you to find out what’s possible, so please just get in touch with Lizzie Hewitt.
What you’ll get:
- The satisfaction in knowing you are supporting young and/or vulnerable people with challenging circumstances.
- A flexible role where you can dedicate as little or as much time as you want.
- Reimbursement of costs.
- To have fun interacting with others, including people within The Music Works.
- Being part of a vibrant music charity using music to transform young lives. You’ll get staff rates for using the studio, be part of our social events, free tickets to King’s Jam and other festivals.
- The volunteer manager and fellow peers who will help support you throughout your role.
- Opportunity to join our workforce training and CPD.
What we need from you:
The minimum age of this volunteer role is 18.
The Music Works is committed to equal opportunity and diversity in all areas of its work. We want to ensure equality of opportunity and embrace and champion the artistic and creative strengths that diversity provides. This extends to our volunteers, participants, audiences, the communities we work with, artists we support, our staff and trustees.
Our aim is that the work we create and the teams we work with to create it are truly representative of our target audience (at least 50% lived experience of challenging circumstances), and that individuals feel valued and empowered when they work with us.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs
Getting thereGETTING HERE The Music Works, Kings House, 27 St. Aldate Street, Gloucester, GL1 1RP Public transport If you are visiting us by train or bus, The Hub is just a short walk from Gloucester train station & the transport hub. On exiting the train station, cross over the main road and continue towards the transport hub, which you can walk through, and then turn right and head into Kings Square. Carry on straight ahead and The Hub entrance is on the right-hand side. Parking For parking, we recommend Kings Walk Car Park, or the NCP which is just a short walk from The Hub. You can also head for GL1 1RL, Spread Eagle Road, for pay and display car parks which are situated just around the back of our building. We’re situated right above the Chambers pub. Our entrance is on the ground floor on the right of Weatherspoon’s. Press the top buzzer, and we’re on the 2nd floor. We’re a friendly team and are always happy to answer any questions you have.
About The Music Works
We work regularly with 2,500 young people aged 8-30 and a further 2,000 through events.
We cater for everyone, from first access through to talent and career development. We deliver one-to-one music mentoring, small group work, accredited training, apprenticeships and internships, festivals and events, artist and career development and business incubation.
Programmes and activities take place in our state-of-the-art studio spaces, schools and through outreach with our community partners.
Programmes can be accessed via self-referral, including just turning up or agency referral.