Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Strike-a-Light/opportunities/Co-Chair-Role/68872 to join
SummaryWe are looking for two co-chairs to lead Strike A Light in this exciting new period. The co-chairs will work together to oversee the strategy and leadership of
ABOUT THE ROLE
The co-chairs have a unique role. Together, you are the head of the board and a face and advocate for the organisation. You are the ones we may call to mull things over, to ask advice and to lead at the front towards our goals and objectives.
We see the co-chair roles as an opportunity for two people to bring different experiences and outlooks. This could also offer an opportunity for someone who might feel less confident taking this role on alone.
There is a big responsibility attached to joining a board. You are ultimately responsible for the organisation and ensuring we meets our aims. You manage the risks register and our funding agreements with our funders including Arts Council England.
You will be a key representative, champion and advocate for Strike A Light and keep challenging us to be the best we can be.
This is a voluntary role. Chair roles require a bit more time and take on more responsibility than a typical Trustee role – you will:
- lead meetings
- be directly in contact with some of our funders
- work closely with the Executive Team
This role typically takes up to 2 days of your time every couple of months (12 days per year) – although we hope that it being a joint role will help support with the time commitment.
We want two people who share our vision for the organisation and are passionate about the change we want to see. As this is a joint role, we wouldn’t expect you to hit all of these criteria. A great mix of these would be fantastic:
- Background in a similar organisation
- Gloucester resident/local knowledge
- Experience of a cultural or business context and with experience leading or managing an organisation
- Knowledge and understanding of Gloucester and the stakeholders within it
- Someone who is happy to lead and feels confident in managing meetings
- Understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being a chair (we can arrange training if needed)
- Lead on making sure that Strike A Light is well governed and complies with it’s constitutional and charitable objectives
- Championing our vision for community co-creation, letting artists be artists, participation and talent development
- Leading the strategic aims of the business through an exciting time
- Monitor and embed our agreement with the Arts Council and help us embed our investment principle plan
- Support our financial planning and accounts
- Be part of a wider vision to do things differently and see a step-change in Gloucester
The co-chair role runs for a maximum term of up to 10 years.
We’re not expecting you to do all of these things, but if there is anything on this list that speaks to you or sparks your interest, we would love to hear from you. You might think that you can’t be a Chair – maybe because of your age or experience or anything else. But if you feel passionate about what we do and want to get stuck in, YOU CAN APPLY. We would love to hear from you.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs
About Strike a Light
We programme world class drama and dance for people across Gloucester, run weekly classes where children and young people work alongside experienced arts professionals, and support diverse artists making new shows.
We are a charity and believe that everyone, regardless of their background, should be able to experience, watch and take part in creative activity. We are supported by some brilliant funders, which allows us to subsidise ticket prices and offer free places for young people on activities.