Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/ReConnect-Gloucestershire-CIC/opportunities/Telephone-Befriender/53648 to join
SummaryA weekly (or fortnightly) telephone call to offer company & empathy to a person feeling isolated or lonely.
ReConnect supports people affected by Stroke, Aphasia, and other long term health conditions to connect with each other. We facilitate a peer befriending scheme and peer support groups across Gloucestershire to help to reduce social isolation and build confidence and self-esteem.
As a Telephone Befriender, you will:
- Schedule a weekly (or fortnightly) telephone or online call to a person who has been referred to our service
- Offer company, empathy, encouragement, and share experiences.
- Encourage them to achieve personal goals, such as joining a local club or visiting the church or library
- share life experiences
This role might be perfect for you, if you are:
- also affected by a long term condition or know someone who is
- excellent at listening & communicating with people.
- empathetic and non-judgemental.
- willing to try new things and adapt to the Befriendee’s needs.
- happy to be autonomous with guidance from a key staff member.
- over 18 years old
- without a diagnosis of a severe mental health condition
- reliable and attentive
As a volunteer, you will benefit from:
- an induction and on-going training, covering safeguarding, health & safety.
- regular ongoing support from a staff member.
- connection to your local community and support/social groups.
- being a valued member of an incredible and friendly team.
- out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed.
Location & time commitment:
- most volunteer commit to 1 hour per week for at least three months to provide consistency for the person they support.
- timing and method is flexible depending on your, and our befriendee’s, needs.
- To apply, please complete an application form
- A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check at an enhanced level is required for this role. ReConnect will process this with you for free.
- Once we have received your application, references and DBS check we will arrange a time for your training and match you with a person.