Museum Collections Volunteer
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Museum-of-Gloucester/opportunities/Museum-Collections-Volunteer/66970 to join
SummaryMuseum Collections Volunteer - 10-4 one day per week at either Folk of Gloucester Museum 99-103 Westgate Street or Museum of Gloucester Brunswick Road.
This is an exciting time for the Museum of Gloucester as we continue with major collection movement projects, improvements to museum stores, update inventories and develop our documentation and collections care standards. You will be involved in a variety of tasks under the direction of the Collections Team including…
- Assist the Collections Team with the handling, wrapping, packing, transporting, and documenting of collections from one location to another
- Assist with the compiling of up-to-date inventories for the collections
- Undertake in depth research on collection items
- Follow all relevant Health & Safety procedures
- Report directly to either the Collections Assistants, Collections Team Leader or Collections Manager
- Occasional other activities including assisting with exhibitions
Anticipated time contribution: Tuesday 10-4 one day per week
Location: Folk of Gloucester / Museum stores / Museum of Gloucester
· Passionate about the care of collections and gaining experience in the heritage sector - perhaps to enhance a course of study or for your own personal development and enjoyment!
· Ability to follow detailed instructions and processes.
· Patient with good IT and communication skills
· Investigative and research skills
· Ability to use own initiative but know when to seek support
· Ability to work as part of a Team
· Organised and able to plan ahead
What we can offer in return:
· Valuable experience in the museum and heritage sector developing an understanding of conservation standards
· Support for important museum projects that will leave a legacy for the museum service in Gloucester
· Practical experience in aspects of collections management, documentation, and preventative conservation
· Training (in-house) on a variety of procedures to national museum standards
· Become part of a friendly and dedicated team
· Meet new people from diverse backgrounds and make new friends
· Improve your communication skills
· Enjoy new experiences and improve knowledge
About Museum of Gloucester
The Museum of Gloucester tells the story of Gloucester’s origins as a Roman settlement and its subsequent development through the Dark Ages and Medieval period.
Housed in a fine Victorian building on Brunswick Road, the Museum is home to a collection of over 750,000 objects of international importance as well as a significant gallery of paintings by famous artists including Richard Wilson, Thomas Gainsborough, John Atkinson Grimshaw and Thomas Dibdin.
The museum has ever-changing exhibitions and events, the museum also features ground floor exhibitions and exhibits that promise a much more interactive experience. Highlights include a Roman kitchen playhouse and medieval street and part of the original Roman wall can also be viewed within the museum.