Walk and Talk Volunteer
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Longfield-Hospice/opportunities/Walk-and-Talk-Volunteer/52793 to join
SummaryAre you a good listener? We need volunteers to come on our walks with recently bereaved family members.
Volunteer tasks and activities
• To help welcome attendees at Longfield’s Walk & Talk events.
• To participate in walks, chatting with attendees as required, being sensitive to their needs
• To act as a front, middle or back walker
• To help with providing beverages and assisting with clearing away.
• To inform the group leader of any concerns/enquiries attendees make that they feel unable to respond to
• To relay any verbal comments/feedback given about events to group leader
• To support and work as part of a team to facilitate a programme of monthly walk & talk groups
• To contribute to the development of a portfolio of walking routes in and around Minchinhampton and the surrounding areas
Our walks take place on different days, for an up to date schedule, do get in touch and we can let you know.
What are we looking for in a volunteer?
- Available to take part in at least 3 walks each year
- Able to attend occasional Walk & Talk Team planning and/or review meetings
- To report any concerns/difficulties encountered to a member of staff
- To advise of any health issues, illness or planned absence that may prevent you taking part in the walk and talk groups
- Willing to complete, or demonstrate evidence of completed mandatory training relevant to the role
- Good listening & communication skills
- Able to listen & be alongside bereaved people without trying to find solutions or offer advice
- Calm, approachable manner
- Comfortable with people being upset
- Good observational skills
- Have an awareness of own capabilities and a willingness to seek and receive guidance and feedback from the Counselling and Bereavement Team
What training will we provide?
· Introduction to Longfield (half –day workshop)
· Safeguarding adults (level 1) – e-learning
· Information governance – e-learning
· GDPR awareness – e-learning
Please note: due to the nature of the support we provide and the conversations you may have, we would advise that this position may be unsuitable for:
· Someone who has been recently bereaved,
· Someone who is currently accessing services at Longfield
· Someone currently acting as main carer for someone at the end of life, (or has been in any of these situations in the last 12 months).