Age UK Gloucestershire's ambition is for Gloucestershire to be the best county in which to grow older. We think it’s great news that we’re living longer, and are here to support all older people to ...
Out of Hospital Volunteer
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Age-UK-Gloucestershire/opportunities/Out-of-Hospital-Volunteer/66621 to join
SummaryA spell in hospital can leave older people feeling anxious & sometimes vulnerable. Our volunteers visit older people at home following discharge from hospital.
Our volunteers are assigned to older people following discharge from hospital to provide ongoing resettlement support tailored to suit each person's need. You will visit each person at home once a week for up to 4 weeks to help them to build their independence and confidence over the longer term.
The support offered may include
- supporting the older person on an agreed course of action such as helping to arrange eye tests;
- encouraging them to restart a lost hobby/interest or take up a new one;
- discussing ways of connecting them with their communities through social groups and activities;
- accompanying them on a short walk or shopping trip:
- assisting them with outstanding correspondence;
- helping to contact friends and neighbours again
Volunteers will need the following skills/aptitudes:
· willingness to engage with older people.
· Patience and empathy, to deal sensitively with all older people.
· Good communication and listening skills.
· Understanding the need for confidentiality.
· Sense of humour.
· Person-centred approach to supporting others.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
About Age UK Gloucestershire
Too often ageing is portrayed negatively. We work to make sure people feel positive about growing older, to dispel myths and challenge ageism.
We champion age-friendly communities to make sure all older people have access to the services, activities and support they need to stay healthy and active.
We support communities to provide fun and meaningful social opportunities for older people to encourage strong social connections, reduce isolation and offer a sense of purpose.
We are the safe place for people to contact if they don’t know where else to turn. We provide high-quality information, guidance and advice to help older people make the best decisions about their social and healthcare options, and support them to access the services and claim the benefits they need to live well for longer.