Age UK Gloucestershire's ambition is for Gloucestershire to be the best county in which to grow older. We think it’s great news that we’re living longer, and are here to support all older people to ...
Blue Badge Support
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Age-UK-Gloucestershire/opportunities/Blue-Badge-Support/52955 to join
SummaryBlue badges can help people remain independent and active outside their homes. Volunteers can help support people through the process.
Our Help Team and their volunteers assist older people, their friends and families with many different aspects of later life. The team’s assistance is vital in ensuring people feel supported as they approach some of the more confusing systems in place.
Blue Badge Applications are a common process for the team to assist older people with, to ensure they can remain independent, included and active outside of their homes. If you enjoy chatting to others, helping people in need and are passionate about ensuring our communities are accessible to all, this role could be great for you!
This role will involve supporting clients to complete the Blue Badge form over the phone or in person.
- You will be enabling the client to express their personal situation in order to submit their complete the application.
- You will be given in-depth training on how to complete these forms and also on how to best support your client throughout the process.
- You will interact with new people and offer guidance based on your training and eventually your own experience.
• Good communication skills are key in this role, along with the ability to relay information.
• The form requires written responses which may need to be more detailed and so proficient writing skills are necessary.
• You must be willing to listen carefully and provide space for people to feel comfortable discussing their needs. Understanding a client’s own specific circumstance is vital in ensuring these forms are completed effectively.
• We also ask that you are able to commit to training for this role and are happy to have regular contact with the team throughout.
• An enhanced DBS check is required for this position, this will be arranged once you have committed to the role if you do not currently possess an in-date certificate.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs
About Age UK Gloucestershire
Too often ageing is portrayed negatively. We work to make sure people feel positive about growing older, to dispel myths and challenge ageism.
We champion age-friendly communities to make sure all older people have access to the services, activities and support they need to stay healthy and active.
We support communities to provide fun and meaningful social opportunities for older people to encourage strong social connections, reduce isolation and offer a sense of purpose.
We are the safe place for people to contact if they don’t know where else to turn. We provide high-quality information, guidance and advice to help older people make the best decisions about their social and healthcare options, and support them to access the services and claim the benefits they need to live well for longer.