Age UK Gloucestershire's ambition is for Gloucestershire to be the best county in which to grow older. We think it’s great news that we’re living longer, and are here to support all older people to ...
Attendance Allowance Support
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Age-UK-Gloucestershire/opportunities/Attendance-Allowance-Support/52914 to join
SummarySupport us to ensure people have access to information and are aware of their entitlements.
About the role
The Help Team and their volunteers aid with many queries people can have as they age. They ensure people have access to information, are aware of their entitlements and also give guidance on any processes people must go through to receive these. Attendance Allowance provides some financial help to those who need support, allowing them to remain comfortable and independent at home. To receive the allowance an application form must be submitted, which can be a challenging process. Having some assistance when filling in these forms can help make sure the application is completed correctly, giving the best chance of success. If you are looking to help others and enjoy chatting with new people, this role could be great for you!
This role will involve supporting clients to complete the Attendance Allowance form over the phone or in person. You will provide a safe, supportive space for the client to express their personal situation clearly, in order to present this information within their application.
You will be given in depth training on how to complete these forms and on how to best support your client throughout the process alongside regular check-ins with the team.
• Good communication skills are vital, as well as relaying this information.
• Listening carefully and intently is necessary to ensure your client’s true situation is expressed.
• Able to provide a safe space for people to feel comfortable discussing their needs.
• Proficient writing skills are necessary, the form requires written responses which may need to be more detailed and in-depth.
• We also ask that you are able to commit to training for this role and are happy to have regular contact with the team throughout.
• An enhanced DBS check is required for this position, this will be arranged once you have committed to the role if you do not currently possess an in-date certificate.
This is flexible depending on your availability. We can discuss this further with you upon application.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs
About Age UK Gloucestershire
Too often ageing is portrayed negatively. We work to make sure people feel positive about growing older, to dispel myths and challenge ageism.
We champion age-friendly communities to make sure all older people have access to the services, activities and support they need to stay healthy and active.
We support communities to provide fun and meaningful social opportunities for older people to encourage strong social connections, reduce isolation and offer a sense of purpose.
We are the safe place for people to contact if they don’t know where else to turn. We provide high-quality information, guidance and advice to help older people make the best decisions about their social and healthcare options, and support them to access the services and claim the benefits they need to live well for longer.