Stroud Valleys Canal Company (SVCC) are the registered charity who own or lease the Cotswold Canal from Saul Junction to Brimscombe Port.
SVCC is volunteer led and has overall responsibility for ...
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Stroud-Valleys-Canal-Company/opportunities/Chairperson/69464 to join
SummaryThe Stroud Valleys Canal Company (SVCC) is looking for a new Chair to take the operation of the Stroudwater Navigation and the Thames and Severn Canal.
The Stroud Valleys Canal Company (SVCC) is looking for a new Chair to take the operation of the Stroudwater Navigation and the Thames and Severn Canal (part) into a new era. Within a few years the Stroudwater Canal will be reconnected to the national network at Saul Junction. This will be the culmination of a major engineering and community development project, delivering not only 17km of restored or new canal, but also new wetlands, restored ancient orchards and enhanced bio-diversity along the route.
The SVCC is both a charity and a registered company. It holds a 999 year lease from the Company of Proprietors of the Stroudwater Navigation and is the owner of the restored section of the Thames and Severn Canal (from Wallbridge to Brimscombe). SVCC is the Navigation Authority and, in conjunction with its partners, will be responsible for the successful operation of a working canal. The 17km. of restored canal is expected to be very popular with both the local boaters (and other users) and visiting boats from the rest of the national canal network. This represents a radical change in the future role of the SVCC, and its wider partners in the Stroud valleys canal family.
To get from “here to there” the SVCC is looking for a new Chair to oversee the transition. The post will be on a voluntary basis. The attributes required by this person are:
- Very strong leadership qualities to provide leadership both within the SVCC and across the diverse stakeholders in the operation of the canal.
- Work very closely with other organisations with an interest in the operation of the canal, in particular the Cotswold Canal Trust (CCT) and Stroud District Council (SDC) who provide most of the resources needed to run the canal.
- Is flexible about how things are done, but gets things done.
- Knows how to bring diverse interests together to achieve mutually agreed solutions.
- Has experience of successfully dealing with the idiosyncrasies of Public Authorities (including, but not limited to, local authorities, highway authorities and environmental authorities).
- Has a good understanding of how to resolve complex (engineering and other) issues in restoring and constructing a canal when there are divergent opinions. This includes resolving issues where the operation of a canal interacts with other uses of the canal assets (for example, biodiversity, wellbeing, walking and cycling, physical access to wildlife, community development and many other interests).
- Ideally, has an engineering background in areas related to canal operation and construction.
- Being realistic, the time commitment would be 2-3 days per week.
This position would be of interest someone looking for a big new challenge, with very big personal rewards. The successful completion and operation of the reconnected 17km of canal will be the culmination of an enormous amount of effort by many volunteers. It has involved the investment of around £35m of public and donated money which will result in enormous economic and health and well-being benefits for the people of Stroud and its wider surroundings.
Please message us if you are interested in this position or would like to find out more information on the role.
About Stroud Valleys Canal Company
SVCC is volunteer led and has overall responsibility for managing and maintaining the canal once it has been restored.
With Phase 1A between Stonehouse and Thrupp now navigable, there is lots of maintenance to be carried out on the canal and towpath to sustain the wonderful asset we have in our community. SVCC works closely with volunteers from Cotswold Canals Trust and Stroud District Council.
There is still more to come, SVCC is a partner of the Cotswold Canals Connected Project Phase 1B setup to link the Stroudwater Navigation to the Gloucester Sharpness Canal linking the Cotswold Canals to the national waterways once again.