Aphasia Choir Helper
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/ReConnect-Gloucestershire-CIC/opportunities/Aphasia-Choir-Helper/53655 to join
SummaryCan you help bake cakes, make tea and change slides on powerpoint?
ReConnect supports people affected by Stroke, Dementia, Aphasia, and other long term health conditions to connect with each other. We facilitate a peer befriending scheme and peer support groups across Gloucestershire to help reduce social isolation and build the confidence and self-esteem.
As a Group Enabler with the New Voices Choir, you will:
- support our Music Therapist to run this small and friendly group for people with neurological conditions and aphasia.
- help the Music Therapist to ensure everyone feels comfortable in the group.
- organise tea and coffee for the group.
- Support positive group dynamics.
- encourage people to achieve personal goals within the group.
- support people to become more independent.
- provide admin support such as reminder phone calls or emails.
This role might be perfect for you, if you are:
- able to enable and empower people to help themselves.
- empathetic and non-judgemental.
- willing to try new things and adapt to the needs of the people you are supporting.
- happy to be autonomous with guidance from a key staff member.
- over 18 years old
- without a diagnosis of a severe mental health condition.
- reliable, clean and presentable
As a volunteer, you will benefit from:
- an induction and on-going training, covering safeguarding, health & safety.
- regular ongoing support from a staff member.
- meeting people who have been affected by stroke, aphasia, dementia and other long-term health conditions.
- an opportunity to enhance your CV or learn new skills.
- connection to your local community.
- being a valued member of an incredible and friendly team.
- out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed.
Location & time commitment:
- most volunteers commit to 2 hours per fortnight for at least three months to provide consistency for the group they support. The New Voices Choir meets fortnightly on Thursdays 1:45-3:30pm.
- To apply, please complete an application form.
- A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check at an enhanced level is required for this role. ReConnect will process this with you for free.
- Once we have received your application, references and DBS check we will arrange a time for your training and match you with a person.