Gloucestershire Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre provide emotional and practical support to survivors of rape, sexual assault and childhood sexual abuse regardless of gender.
Our aims are to: relieve ...
Scan me or visit www.govolunteerglos.org/o/Gloucestershire-Rape-and-Sexual-Abuse-Centre/opportunities/Helpline-Volunteer/52718 to join
SummaryTo provide telephone support in a professional, woman-centred, and empathetic way to people who have experience rape and/or sexual violence.
Purpose of the role:
To provide telephone support in a professional, woman-centred, and empathetic way to people who have experience rape and/or sexual violence.
What you will be doing:
· Attend initial training in awareness and skills for the role – All sessions must be attended
· Commit to a minimum of two helpline shifts per month, taking calls and returning calls to women
· Provide listening support, information and take referrals
· Complete paperwork and records for each call
· Engage with post-shift debriefs
· Attend external supervision (this is compulsory at least every two months)
· Attend additional training for your role
· Regularly check messages to volunteers, including by email
Skills, experience, and qualities needed:
· Commitment to feminism and woman-centred working
· Empathetic, non-judgemental, and non-discriminatory manner
· Ability to work well in a team and support co-workers
· Commitment to the aims of GRASAC
· Excellent telephone communication skills (these can be learned during training; comfort on the telephone is beneficial)
· Excellent timekeeping
When and where:
· Two shifts (2 hours each) per month on the helpline
· Attendance at monthly support & supervision meetings (bi-monthly as a minimum)
· Attendance at volunteer forum meetings (usually quarterly)
· Helpline volunteering will take place at GRASAC’s office and/or remotely by divert (if appropriate)
- Debrief with other volunteers / staff at the end of every shift
· Quarterly volunteer forum meetings
· Monthly group supervision sessions
· Six-monthly 1:1 support with Community Engagement and Training Officer
· On-going informal support from the Community Engagement and Training Officer, Service Manager and other volunteers and staff
· Termly CPD / Training Offered
Benefits you can gain from working with us:
· Be part of a feminist organisation
· Learn new skills, particularly listening skills
· Develop awareness and understanding around sexual violence and rape
· Opportunity to support women who have experienced sexual violence
· Be part of a team of volunteers
· Opportunities for further training, and expanding knowledge
· Opportunities to take on further roles if desired
· Gain an accredited Level 2 qualification: Understanding and Working with Sexual Violence, subject to full attendance on initial training course, satisfactory completion of coursework and probationary period of 6 months.
· All reasonable out of pocket expenses paid
To apply, please click 'Join' and you will be asked a short question. We will then be in touch to discuss the next steps with you.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
About Gloucestershire Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre
Our aims are to: relieve the emotional, psychological and/or physical distress of people (especially of women and girls) who have experienced sexual violence; and to educate the public about the nature of sexual violence and its impact.